Tuesday, April 18, 2006

In Memoriam: Albert Einstein

On this date in 1955, Albert Einstein died, having been born in 1879.

I wish I could remember when I first encountered Einstein. I do recall that, in 1965, at age 13, I had my local Tulsa library branch inter-library loan to me a book on relativity from the Oklahoma State Library, so it must have been in 1963 or 1964.

Beyond the science, two fine points Einstein shared with me.

First. One of the main insights of relativity theory is the difference in perspective from an object at rest and an object in motion. From this I derived the implacable method of considering every ethical situation from every angle, before making a decision and acting upon it. (The trajectory of reasoning is left to the student as an exercise. Bless you, Mr. McCray.)

Second. His relentless humanism for humanity, the Atomic Bomb letter to FDR not withstanding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home