Saturday, October 04, 2008

I, Too, Only Ever Wished to Walk on the Moon

Today remains Saturday, 4 October 2008.

I, Too, Only Ever Wished to Walk on the Moon

[Homage to J.G. Ballard]

I, too, was once an astronaut.

Until that day, I was a mere government accountant.

Sums and numbers. That which is allowed and not allowed. I guard the treasures for the taxpayers.

.................

Then I flew into space.

......................

My wife was Tess, my daughter was Rachel.

“Space”.

I received a summons. I was required at the Hotel Luxe, 94th and Broadway, Manhattan, New York City, Room 476, to verify the accounts of an American intelligence service.

I was seated before the books, and served a soda. It tasted funny.

Our dog is named “Bone”.

“Time”.

Into the soda slipped the minions of that American intelligence service a wild experimental drug.

“Time”.

Slips. Slows. Suspends.

“Time”.

...........................

I have always loved them.

I will always love them.

................................

“Space”.

Bends around the clock, and Time Itself.

Such beauty I see out the window.

I launch!

[Glass breaks.]

Such freedom is weightlessness and flying.

Darlings, I love you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

“Houston: Trajectory perfect”.

“Roger”.

……………..

“The Eagle has landed”.

………………..

I only ever wished to walk on the moon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice story, took my imagination on a pleasant outing. You're very talented.

1:50 PM  
Blogger HH said...

Thanks for your kind words. I'll have a comment on the story on Monday.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home