Friday, January 09, 2009

God Is My Personal Shopper

Today is Friday, 9 January 2009.

There are certain Jews who say: We’re the Privileged People --- God, gimme the Holy Land.

There are certain Christians who say: We succeeded the Jews as the Privileged People --- God, gimme the Holy Land.

There are certain Muslims who say: We succeeded them both as the Privileged People --- God, gimme the Holy Land.

Pardon me, but a deity who parcels out the planet like a Mafia chieftain rewarding cronies is a deity unworthy of the concept.

There will always be those, I fear, who, in their limitless greed and malignant narcissism, blaspheme by ascribing their own murderous appetites to deity.

They condemn themselves from their own mouths.

As I read the Scriptures, the concept of the Chosen (as diametrically opposed to Privileged) People is of those through whom, frequently by travail and suffering, comes universal blessing.

Let Hamas, and its backers, and Israel, and its backers, both stand condemned for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.
Ever wonder what the planet would be like if religions had never reared their ugly heads?

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear earthbound,

You and John Lennon may not agree, but not all religions are ugly. It is those who misuse or misrepresent religion who cause the grief.

There is little that infuriates me more than someone claiming to be a Christian while spewing hatred and passing judgment on their neighbors in the name of Christianity. Those who are truly Christian show love and compassion for their fellows. And I think other religions can also provide comfort, inspiration, and nobility to the inhabitants of the planet.

I agree with most of HH's observations in this column, but I don't believe he was condemning all religion.

Here's hoping you will not be forever earthbound, because your comments seem well-intentioned and usually not nearly as bleak as HH's. Peace and love to you both.

9:18 PM  
Blogger HH said...

Having studied the work of the Swiss Reformed theologian Karl Barth, I tend to reserve the term "religion" for the sort of self-aggrandizing behaviour I condemn in this column. "Beliefs" which uphold loving-kindness I endorse.

I note that "organized religion" usually identifies groups which have sold out to the State and greed. Thus, I would prefer "disorganized" religion, if any.

And I should hope "earthboundmisfit" is "usually not nearly as bleak as HH". "Bleak" is one of my middle names.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maude in "Harold and Maude" - "A lot of people enjoy being dead."

In HH's case, I say "He enjoys being bleak."

8:29 AM  
Blogger HH said...

"Bleak" isn't something I particularly would have chosen, but the result of an accurate and unblinkered perception of the world in which we live.

I sometimes think I should have preferred to be fat, dumb, and happy. At least, I've nailed "fat".

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hummm, yes, I do believe you think you have an accurate and unblinkered perception of the world. However, there are some that would disagree.

You might have preferred fat, dumb, and happy, but then you wouldn't be you.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home