Sunday, April 30, 2006

International Workers' Day

WORKERS OF THE WORLD, AWAKEN
by Joe Hill

Workers of the world, awaken!
Break your chains, demand your rights.
All the wealth you make is taken
By exploiting parasites.
Shall you kneel in deep submission
From your cradles to your graves?
ls the height of your ambition
To be good and willing slaves?

Chorus:
Arise, ye prisoners of starvation!
Fight for your own emancipation;
Arise, ye slaves of every nation.
In One Union grand.

Our little ones for bread are crying,
And millions are from hunger dying;
The end the means is justifying,
’Tis the final stand.
If the workers take a notion,
They can stop all speeding trains;
Every ship upon the ocean
They can tie with mighty chains.

Every wheel in the creation,
Every mine and every mill,
Fleets and armies of the nation,
Will at their command stand still.

Join the union, fellow workers,
Men and women, side by side;
We will crush the greedy shirkers
Like a sweeping, surging tide;
For united we are standing,
But divided we will fall;
Let this be our understanding –
“All for one and one for all.'“

Workers of the world, awaken!
Rise in all your splendid might;
Take the wealth that you are making,
It belongs to you by right.
No one will for bread be crying,
We'll have freedom, love and health.
When the grand red flag is flying
In the Workers' Commonwealth.

--- Joe Hill, a Swedish immigrant, was a songwriter and labor organizer
for the Industrial Workers of the World (I.W.W. or "Wobblies"); he
was framed on a murder charge in Utah and judicially murdered in 1915

I DREAMED I SAW JOE HILL LAST NIGHT

I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night,
Alive as you or me
Says I, "But Joe, you're ten years dead,"
"I never died," says he
"I never died," says he

"In Salt Lake, Joe," says I to him,
Him standing by my bed,
"They framed you on a murder charge,"
Says Joe, "But I ain't dead,"
Says Joe, "But I ain't dead."

"The copper bosses killed you, Joe,
They shot you, Joe," says I.
"Takes more than guns to kill a man,"
Says Joe, "I didn't die,"
Says Joe, "I didn't die."

And standing there as big as life
And smiling with his eyes
Joe says, "What they forgot to kill
Went on to organize,
Went on to organize."

"Joe Hill ain't dead," he says to me,
"Joe Hill ain't never died.
Where working men are out on strike
Joe Hill is at their side,
Joe Hill is at their side."

"From San Diego up to Maine,
In every mine and mill,
Where workers strike and organize,"
Says he, "You'll find Joe Hill,"
Says he, "You'll find Joe Hill."

I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night,
Alive as you or me
Says I, "But Joe, you're ten years dead,"
"I never died," says he
"I never died," says he.

--- By Alfred Hayes

Joe Hill's last words: "Don't mourn, organize!"

POLICY STATEMENT: Day Without Immigrants

It is the position of the Musuem of the Bourgeois that all subjects of the United States Empire enjoy the inherent right to reside anywhere in the Empire. This right is shared equally by those born in the homeland of the Empire and those born in the neo-colonies. (More at "Immigration and Empire," posted 19 April 2006)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home