Monday, November 27, 2006

No Decency

Today is Tuesday, 28 November 2006.

Although I have a reputation for rubbing people’s noses in the truth of this world, I cannot advise my readers to look up “videos of beheadings” on the Internet.

I saw today on CNN all but the final moments of a video shot in a town in Iraq. Sunni militia are preparing to behead, in a public street, a male they believe is Shia militia. Passersby are making videos.

Car bombs. Mortar shellings from one neighborhood to another. People pulled out of homes, cars, off buses, and shot to death. A hundred a day, or an hour? Mass graves created one by one.

This is the Iraq accomplished by the mission of the Bush regime. Apparently, the Coward of Crawford believes such are the birth pangs of democracy.

Last month, I forced myself to watch a video of a beheading. It was probably more horrible than you imagine. I felt I owed it, as a citizen of this country, as one who failed to stop the misleaders who created the conditions which gave birth to such atrocities, I felt I owed it to the victims, to watch them die, at least once, at such comfortable remove.

I believe a recent study in the British magazine, The Lancet, the most distinguished medical journal in the world, is correct, having used scientific sampling methods, that at least 100,000 surplus civilian deaths have occurred, 84% of them by USA/United States Empire air strikes and artillery. Probably far more: we have very efficient delivery methods for death.

I’m sorry; I cannot be over-concerned at the harm the Bush mad adventurism is doing to this country, not while so many are being butchered in Iraq, only because wicked rulers in DC chose to “Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!”

The words of Joseph N. Welch to Sen. Joseph McCarthy, in the 1954 Army-McCarthy Inquisition, are fitting, to be addressed to Bush and his minions:

“You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?”

And, it’s odd for me to quote Oliver Cromwell, but the shoe fits:

Bush: “In the name of God, go!”

IMPEACH, CONVICT, IMPRISON!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home