Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Happy Birthday, Ray Bradbury

Today is Wednesday, 22 August 2007.

The Museum of the Bourgeois is totally pleased to wish Ray Bradbury “Happy Birthday!” on this, his 87th.

Thank you, sir, for the enduring poetry of The Martian Chronicles.

Herewith, in your honour, sir, a bit of Shakespeare.

Sonnet 29

"When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes"

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf Heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least:
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee,--and then my state
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings'.

And also, in your honour, sir, one of my favourite fragments of music: Ralph Vaugh Williams, The Lark Ascending:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful sonnet with lark arising flowing perfectly into this music.

Transcendent.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home