Thursday, October 22, 2009

Of Sophie

Today is Thursday, 22 October 2009.

Sparing you sad specifics:

Two days ago,
We rushed my beloved Sophie,
Dachsund, small and black,
With mighty opinions, well-voiced,
To the vet, suffering from a protozoan illness -
Protozoa encover the world.

Happens to all mammals,
Including thee and me.
They live on our hands.

It was grim,
sparing you sad specifics,
but she is well.

Frequently, surely, I have since heard, in the voices of
The washer, the dryer, car sounds on the street, the clicks of heel upon the floor,
Birds in the air,
Everywhere,
Her voice of astonishing range and versatility.

“Where are you? I’m here.”

Tomorrow, she comes home.

How narrow, the zone of life.

The voice of all the living, the dying:
"Where are you? I'm here.
Come soon.
Please."

1 Comments:

Anonymous earthboundmisfit said...

HH, I am so glad Sophie's going to be OK - very scary! Yes, you do miss those little voices when they are absent - thank goodness you wil hear hers again soon! Best wishes

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home