Sunday, September 26, 2010

"In the meantime, in betweentime..."

Today is Sunday, 26 September 2010.

Weekends are always the most difficult for this writer, as family obligations increase. For example, today I made a fav of Mrs. HH, potato-corn chowder. Recipe upon request, but the key is, instead of thyme, herbs de Provence.

I should provide two columns today, the one I intended, on Tenthers, and another on implications/issue of the first televised Presidential debate, this date 50 years ago, Kennedy vs. Nixon.

With luck, I may finish one before midnight. If not, will back-date tomorrow. I don’t think we’ve talked klezmer before. I’m a big fan. However, didn’t know The Barry Sisters, until my friend Julie turned me on to them yesterday.

Oh. For the record. The Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the U.S. is:

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

The Barry Sisters are far better.

.

1 Comments:

Anonymous rtr said...

I offer this fifth hand anecdote in the interest of 360 degree insight FWIW.

Leonard Bernstein related in an interview that his father was horrified when Lenny told him he wanted to pursue music as his avocation. Bernstein pere pictured his son as a Klezmer musician and believed that his son's aspirations should have been higher.

I share your joy of Klezmer music and revel in the abandon. To my tastes, no other musical style unmasks and exploits the raw carnality that otherwise hides behind the sedate facade of the humble clarinet.

Here is a bit of Klezmer from the Mahler First Symphony that you may enjoy...

http://www.fugato.com/pickett/mahler1-3.shtml

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home