Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Another Mad World

Today is Tuesday, 22 July 2008.

This is why I should stick to books, and ignore TV shows.

I’d heard good things about Saving Grace, and, indeed, it seems excellent.

However, in the first few minutes of the episode I watched tonight, too many OKC Bombing references.

I lost a friend from Stillwater that day.

And another friend perished on 9-11.

And I remember also a roomie from college, from Iran, who committed suicide, in despair after 1979.

And a friend from Ethiopia, who couldn’t return, because most of his family had been killed after the fall of the Empire there.

Listening to the following makes me feel better:



And here's my late, great friend, Jeff Buckley:



And this is Jeff's song, his interp of the Leonard Cohen song, set to a family's home video of the World Trade Center:



By popular request, I conclude with Claude D:



I cannot resist gilding the lily: Bach, "That Sheep May Safely Graze":



I'm defintely shutting down the request phone lines with this one, Faure's Pavane:



This request just in under the wire, I can't resist, Mr. Cash:



It's my blog, I'll cry if I want to. When I mashup songs like this, it's H. Hesse's The Glass Bead Game: put them all together, and it's a triangulation upon the cosmos. Joni Mitchell, from the album Blue, "River":

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HH said "It's my blog, I'll cry if I want to."

Precisely. I say, do whatever works for you.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn fine interlude from the TV squawking heads, HH. I think I hear the Cosmos whispering "Thanks..."

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Das Glasperlenspiel, HH, hmmm.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home