Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Regarding Elizabeth Edwards

Today is Tuesday, 27 March 2007.

Hide and die.

Such seems to be the message of many to Elizabeth Edwards.

“How dare that skirt continue her political collaboration with her husband, and assist his bid for the White House, now that her cancer has returned? After all, skirts should be barefoot and pregnant, and keep their apple-lovin’, sin-worshippin’ mouths shut.”

From many reports, I deduce that Elizabeth Edwards is a full political partner in her John’s career, probably his closest advisor. Whatever his dream is in running for President, probably a mixture of idealism and ambition, she is partner in that dream.

It’s her life. If she wishes to spend what may be her final years as partner in her husband’s presidential campaign, more power to her.

If I discovered I had x probable years to live, I certainly wouldn’t crawl into a hole and await the Grim Reaper --- I’d put every action I’ve ever believed good into warpdrive.

Patriarchal fascist sexists wish every female/womyn [blast from the past!] would end as an invalid. Actually, they’d prefer they all begin and middle that way as well.

Go Elizabeth!

Death to sexism!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about putting at least one or two good actions into warpdrive? If everyone did that, there would be a lot less time for people to sit around making judgements of how other people choose to live their lives.

9:09 AM  
Blogger HH said...

Thanks for your thoughts, "Anonymous". I try to do some greater good each day, 'though I don't believe in trumpeting the details. I doubt we should refrain in making some judgements on how people lead their lives, when we believe they're doing evil. In E. Edwards' case, perhaps she makes a mistake in being a partner in John's campaign, perhaps not. I was trying to say, let the woman make her own choices. Probably that's what you mean also. (FYI: when you're almost 55 and as creaky as HH, you don't sit around much, making judgements or not. Movement is less painful!) Yours in solidarity for actions for a more peaceful and just world.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your 3/27/07 post has the following in quotation marks -

“How dare that skirt continue her political collaboration with her husband, and assist his bid for the White House, now that her cancer has returned? After all, skirts should be barefoot and pregnant, and keep their apple-lovin’, sin-worshippin’ mouths shut.”

Did someone actually say that? If not, are quotes the proper way to handle this? If not, are you then interpreting and paraphrasing someone's or someones' actual comments as you interpret them? If this is your interpretation, might is be inaccruate as to the original speakers' true intent?

10:57 AM  
Blogger HH said...

My goodness gracious. My bad. I'm always pleased and humbled by the sharp-as-tacks-ness of the readers of this humble column. Yes: I should have gone with my original instinct, and used '...' instead of "...". Not a quote, but a composite of the assortment of sexist crap I've heard for too damn many years, trying to put ... now, don't ask me who said this, too damn many times I've heard this ... "the little ladies" in their place. (Given 6 billion humans and the prevalence of sexism, I'm sure many someones thought or said same.) "Skirt" is, of course, a far less coarse term than many I've heard over the years. As to "barefoot and pregnant", a male acquaintance said that to me about a woman ca. 1974, and, although I recall no witnesses, I assure you that, in saying that's how he'd like to have a relationship with her, there was no irony. As to your correction of my punctuation: many thanks for a good catch. Or, as some reader will undoubtedly be able to refresh my memory as to who the editorial cartoonist was who used this line: A tip of the chapeau to you.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see what "tough questions" questions Katie Couric asks Tony Snow, should she interview him, in light of his recurrence of cancer. Will her questions begin with "Some people say..." as the majority did in her interview with Elizabeth & John Edwards? Granted, Mr. Snow is not running for president, but he does hold a highly visible and important position relative to the White House.

All politics aside, to both Mrs. Edwards and Mr. Snow,
sincere best wishes for strength, hope, and maybe miracles.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home