Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Promised Land

Today is Tuesday, 3 April 2007.

On this date in 1968, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered in Memphis the famous “mountaintop” speech.

Herewith, the conclusion:

"And then I got into Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers?

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.

And I don't mind.

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

And so I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!"

Dig this, the real footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP-DsxmbtGc&mode=related&search=

(Coming soon: my Brainiac computer lifelong comrade will teach me how to embed same above with a "click here", so you won't need to paste it into your browser. Please give HH a break: grasshopper is but an humble Liberal Arts major.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Methinks the author doth protest o'ermuch, forgetting that there are a murmuring of faithful readers who may recall his academic prowess in fields beyond the liberal, nay should I call them radical arts.

This humble reader was witness to his excellence in HS physics class and mathematics was as a second tongue.

Come now coy master and remove the bushel from your light to our endless delight.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rather a "murmuration"

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serendipity

9:31 PM  
Blogger HH said...

Ain't that a caution and an honour: Diogenes and Grace on mine humble blog on one eve.

If you meet the Buddha on the road ... or MoB ... tell him: "HH says, "You can still get in for 10%. Better than being philosophical roadkill."

Thank you, Diogenes and Grace.

Maybe it's synchronicity: oh frak: i've not figured how to put youtube on comments. just do Police Synchronicity Youtube.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In belated remembrance of Dr. King's passing, and also the happier note of Mr. Russell's natal day:

Beware Of Darkness
by George Harrison

Watch out now, take care
Beware of falling swingers
Dropping all around you
The pain that often mingles
In your fingertips
Beware of darkness

Watch out now, take care
Beware of the thoughts that linger
Winding up inside your head
The hopelessness around you
In the dead of night
Beware of sadness

It can hit you
It can hurt you
Make you sore and what is more
That is not what you are here for

Watch out now, take care
Beware of soft shoe shufflers
Dancing down the sidewalks
As each unconscious sufferer
Wanders aimlessly
Beware of Maya

Watch out now, take care
Beware of greedy leaders
They take you where you should not go
While Weeping Atlas Cedars
They just want to grow, grow and grow
Beware of darkness

© G. Harrison, Harrisongs Ltd., 1970.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@#%$!&* roadhog!

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home