Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sauce for the goose...

Today is Thursday, 14 October 2010.

On this date began the Great Missile Crisis of 1962.

The name upon which I've settled, for what's commonly labled "The Cuban Missile Crisis".

The latter is far too narrow. The Soviet deployment of missiles (and, for those of you joining us with the program already in progress, they had nuclear warheads on board) was in belated response to the deployment, by the USA/USE, several years before, of missiles, in the UK, Italy, and Turkey, aimed at the USSR, and as next-door to them, as we felt Cuba was to us/US.

(Moral of the story. Put a gun to someone's head, don't be sur-prised, sur-prised, sur-prised, when they put one to yours. What a way to live!)

On this date, a U-2 spy plane overflew Cuba. Next day, the photos it took were evaluated as showing sites at which missile launch installations were in progress of creation.

Here's a quaint bit of performance art, from a popular TV show of three years later:



A lesson of the Crisis: sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander.

1 Comments:

Anonymous rtr said...

Time for some Yeats HH?

Song of Wandering Aengus

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home